Author: Anselm R Garbe <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 19:15:05 +0100
new dwm 5.6 release
2 files changed, 24 insertions(+), 18 deletions(-)
diff --git a/dwm.suckless.org/index.md b/dwm.suckless.org/index.md
@@ -5,26 +5,31 @@ DYNAMIC WINDOW MANAGER
-dwm is a dynamic window manager for X. It manages windows in tiled and
-floating layouts. Either layout can be applied dynamically, optimizing the
-environment for the application in use and the task performed. It is
-the little brother of [wmii](http://wmii.suckless.org/).
+dwm is a dynamic window manager for X. It manages windows in tiled, monocle
+and floating layouts. Either layout can be applied dynamically, optimising the
+environment for the application in use and the task performed.
-In tiled layout, windows are managed in a master and stacking area. The master
-area contains the windows which currently need most attention, whereas the
-stacking area contains all other windows. In floating layout, windows can be
-resized and moved freely. Dialog windows are always managed floating,
-regardless of the layout selected.
+In tiled layouts windows are managed in a master and stacking area. The master
+area contains the window which currently needs most attention, whereas the
+stacking area contains all other windows. In monocle layout all windows are
+maximised to the screen size. In floating layout windows can be resized and
+moved freely. Dialog windows are always managed floating, regardless of the
Windows are grouped by tags. Each window can be tagged with one or multiple
-tags. Selecting certain tags displays all windows with those tags.
+tags. Selecting certain tags displays all windows with these tags.
-dwm contains a small status bar which displays all available tags, the layout,
-the title of the focused window, and the text read from the name of the
-root window. The selected tags are highlighted with a different color, while the
-tags of the focused window are highlighted with a small point.
+Each screen contains a small status bar which displays all available tags, the
+layout, the number of visible windows, the title of the focused window, and the
+text read from the root window name property, if the screen is focused. A
+floating window is indicated with an empty square and a maximised floating
+window is indicated with a filled square before the windows title. The
+selected tags are indicated with a different color. The tags of the focused
+window are indicated with a filled square in the top left corner. The tags
+which are applied to one or more windows are indicated with an empty square in
+the top left corner.
-dwm draws a small border around windows to indicate their focus state.
+dwm draws a small border around windows to indicate the focus state.
@@ -38,6 +43,7 @@ In contrast to ion, larswm, and wmii, dwm is much smaller, faster and simpler.
* dwm is customized through editing its source code, which makes it extremely fast and secure - it does not process any input data which isn't known at compile time, except window titles and status text read from the root window's name. You don't have to learn Lua/sh/ruby or some weird configuration file format (like X resource files), beside C, to customize it for your needs: you only have to learn C (at least editing header files).
* Because dwm is customized through editing its source code, it's pointless to make binary packages of it. This keeps its userbase small and elitist. No novices asking stupid questions.
* dwm reads from the root window's name to print arbitrary status text (like the date, load, battery charge). That's much simpler than larsremote, wmiir and what not...
+* <b>NEW</b> dwm creates a view for each Xinerama screen.
@@ -48,7 +54,7 @@ Links
* [MIT/X Consortium license](http://code.suckless.org/hg/dwm/raw-file/tip/LICENSE)
-* [dwm 5.5](http://code.suckless.org/dl/dwm/dwm-5.5.tar.gz) (18kb) (20090417)
+* [dwm 5.6](http://code.suckless.org/dl/dwm/dwm-5.6.tar.gz) (19kb) (20090714)
* See also [dmenu](http://tools.suckless.org/dmenu)
diff --git a/www.suckless.org/index.md b/www.suckless.org/index.md
@@ -3,9 +3,9 @@ software with a focus on simplicity, clarity, and frugality.
Read more about our [philosophy](/common/) and join us on the [mailing list](common/community).
-New [dwm](http://dwm.suckless.org) release: [dwm-5.5](http://code.suckless.org/dl/dwm/dwm-5.5.tar.gz)
+New [dwm](http://dwm.suckless.org) release: [dwm-5.6](http://code.suckless.org/dl/dwm/dwm-5.6.tar.gz)
New [dmenu](http://tools.suckless.org/dmenu) release: [dmenu-4.0](http://code.suckless.org/dl/tools/dmenu-4.0.tar.gz)